Turkey Confidential (Part 2)
November 21, 2012 Leave a comment
And all through the land
Leftover turkey was served
Dry, boring and bland.”
But NOT at the Bubbly Professor’s house, because she has spent the last few years collecting and perfecting recipes that use leftover turkey in disguise!
If your leftovers need a boost, try this fancy-sounding “Insalata di Turchia Riservate” with gorgonzola crumbles, roasted walnuts, and green apples. No one will know it’s leftover turkey in disguise, or that “Insalata di Turchia Riservate” is simply Italian for “Turkey Salad Confidential.”
Bubbly Professor’s Insalata di Turchia Riservate
- 4 cups mixed salad greens (I like the field green type with a bit of arugula, but this is leftover day so use whatever you have on hand!)
- 2 cups leftover turkey, shredded
- 1 green apple, cored and julienne
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces gorgonzola cheese
- 2 oz. grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cup roasted walnuts
- 1/4 red onion, sliced as thinly as possible
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 T. Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 T. Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together in a large bowl. We’ll use the bowl later to finish the salad.
- Place the julienned apples in the dressing as soon as possible after cutting in order to prevent browning.
- Place the salad greens, the shredded turkey, the gorgonzola, Parmesan, and the roasted walnuts in the bowl with the apples and the dressing; toss to coast. Taste the salad and adjust for salt and pepper if needed.
- Divide the salad among four dinner plates and garnish with the cherry tomatoes and red onion.
- Serve with some nice bread or rolls and don’t forget to gloat a bit about the healthy meal you just served!
The Bubbly Professor is “Miss Jane” Nickles of Austin, Texas…